It’s Christmas week! Not letting it completely derail my routine so I still managed to mealprep my lunches for the week. I definitely had a completely different plan going into grocery shopping… But when I went to Costco and they didn’t have a key ingredient I was planning on getting, I saw the spaghetti squash and quickly made the decision that a spaghetti squash casserole would be perfect for the week. Easy to prepare, satisfying to eat. It is also easy to customize with whatever meat/veggies are on hand. I got the idea from this recipe over at PaleOMG where I basically used her cooking method but used mostly ingredients I already had. Here’s what I did:
Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- 1 Spaghetti Squash
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1 big handful of baby spinach
- 4 chicken sausages (I used Sabatino’s chicken sausage with artichokes and mozzarella from Costco)
- diced onion
- diced red bell pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic (I like garlic…)
- 1-2 tsp oil
- italian seasoning
- fresh basil (because I have a ton in my garden)
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg whites (from the carton)
- salt/pepper to taste
- I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and cooked the spaghetti squash for half an hour.
- While that was going, I heated up some oil and started cooking the onions and peppers with some salt/pepper.
- After they were softened, I added in some Italian seasoning and the garlic (didn’t want them to over cook) and let it cook for a couple minutes.
- I then added in the spinach (which I chopped quickly) to soften.
- Lastly, I mixed in the marinara, sausages (which were already cooked), and the fresh basil and mixed thoroughly. Since this was going to all go in the oven, I didn’t focus a whole lot on cooking the mixture all the way. I just wanted to soften the vegetables and mix everything before going into the oven. I set this aside to cool down.
- By now, the spaghetti squash was about finished so I decreased the heat to 350 and scooped out the threads and mixed everything together and added it to a greased casserole pan.
- I beat the eggs all together and mixed it evenly and thoroughly into the mixture in the casserole pan.
- The casserole went into the oven at 350 degrees F for an hour.
macros (per serving): 20p/11f/25c